As captain, you are responsible for the total operation of the yacht. The position ranges from being in charge of a full time staff of one, to being the CEO of a large operation with many departments, personnel, and a large budget. You are responsible for the supervision of the crew as well as ensuring the enjoyment of all guests onboard. And, of course, you are the navigator.
Private and charter yacht captains bond with the crew on a friendly basis while still maintaining the crew’s respect as their superior. You keep financial records, make and meet budgets, plan itineraries and make reservations, and have a list of contacts around the globe for parts and services that may be needed to maintain the yacht.
A captain works very closely with the owners and guests, and has a comprehensive understanding of their needs.
The minimum qualifications for a yacht captain position include:
• 3-5 years experience as a Mate
• License depending on the tonnage of the yacht. Some owners and insurance companies may require more than is actually required by law.
• At DECA, a 500-ton ticket is the minimum license usually required
• A proven record of navigation
• Management skills
• Personnel management
• Public Relations
• Exceptional communication and service skills
• Inventory control
• Budgeting and accounting skills
• Emergency Management
• Engineering knowledge
• Environmental regulations
• Insurance considerations
• Computer literate
Please note that we do not accept applicants without current marine experience for a captain's position.